Migrant Families Separated At Border Demanding Multi-Million Dollar Payouts From U.S. Government
A lawsuit has been filed against the U.S. government by migrants families who come to the U.S. illegally.
The suit filed by multiple families alleges that the officers at the holding facilities treated them very cruelly.
According to The Washington Times,
Six migrant families filed multi-million dollar claims Monday against the Trump administration over last year’s family separations, saying they need the money to pay for counseling and other medical care to heal from the “torture” they said they suffered.
The legal claims are the latest effort by immigrant-rights groups to punish the administration for the separations of thousands of children, which resulted from the Justice Department’s zero tolerance policy for illegal border crossers.
The families and their lawyers say the policy intended to inflict “emotional distress” on the parents and children, hoping it would make attempting to sneak into the U.S. so uncomfortable that fewer people would attempt it.
One suit, in particular, comes from a Guatemalan woman who alleges that an officer told her that her 5-year-old son would be taken from her and then taunted her by saying, “Happy Mother’s Day.”
"The woman says another immigration officer woke her up at about 5 a.m. days later, ordered her to bathe and clothe her son, and then took her son into another room. The woman says she begged not to have her son taken, then asked that the two be deported together to Guatemala rather than separated. Her son only spoke the indigenous Guatemalan language of Mam.
“The officer laughed,” the claim says. “He made fun of her indigenous accent and said, laughingly, ‘it’s not that easy.’”
They were reunited in July, but then placed in a family detention center. They were released in November.
Stanton Jones, a lawyer for the families, said the families were entitled to monetary damages because of the government’s “inexplicable cruelty.” (AP NEWS)