She Thought A Blister On Her Baby Was Ringworm, Then She Saw It Was Something…
With so many cute designs to choose from, it can be hard to find the perfect pacifier for your Baby. That's why many stick with brands they know and trust—like Philips Avent.
The Philips Avent Soothie is a single-piece, orthodontic and BPA-free pacifier "designed to ensure natural development of baby teeth and gums," according to the company's website. This particular pacifier adheres to the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines and is given to newborns at more than 2,000 hospitals across the U.S.
Despite its popularity, however, one mom is now warning other parents about using the product after her 7-month-old son woke up blistered.
Kristen Milhone of Michigan told Inside Edition that she spotted a mark on her son’s face when she picked him up from his bassinet.
"He had this big old bump on the side of his head, and it was red and really inflamed," she told the news outlet.
Kristen took her son, Jack, to the emergency room when she noticed yellow blisters, similar to that of a chemical burn, beginning to form. At first, they thought Jack had a case of ringworm.
After taking a closer look, the doctors realized Jack was badly burned and they eventually realized the very unexpected cause: his pacifier.
After measuring the diameter of the wound against the shape of Jack’s pacifier, doctors determined that the burn was a result of the pacifier getting suctioned to his face.
“The binky had fallen out of his mouth and then he had rolled onto it,” Milhone told "Inside Edition." "You put your kids [to bed] thinking they are safe, and these things you really might trust turn out to be dangerous."
Jack had fallen asleep in his crib with the same type of pacifier given to new mothers at the hospital. He may even need plastic surgery to undo the damage that has been done!
Now, as Kristen's story is going viral, she's urging other parents to take heed. Watch the video below to see how Jack's pacifier left him with a horrible burn on his face.