Minor Files Lawsuit Against Twitter For Profiting Off Of 'Child Trafficking' And 'Pornography' [Details]
Twitter has been on the warpath against conservatives claiming they are getting rid of QAnon and those that spread misinformation. This misinformation is usually about the fraud in the presidential election or how the MSM lies. But while Twitter has been purging and locking accounts that they find offensive they have been far less restrictive when it comes to child porn or at least that's what a minor found out after asking the Social Media platform to remove photos taken while under duress. In fact, the boy's family had to go all the way to the Department of Homeland Security to get Twitter to remove the child porn. So the family is now suing the social media giant. Geez, you'd think child porn would take precedence when comes to purging/locking accounts.
"Twitter refused to take down widely shared pornographic images and videos of a teenage sex trafficking victim because an investigation “didn’t find a violation” of the company’s “policies,” a scathing lawsuit alleges.
The federal suit, filed Wednesday by the victim and his mother in the Northern District of California, alleges Twitter made money off the clips, which showed a 13-year-old engaged in sex acts and are a form of child sexual abuse material, or child porn, the suit states.
The teen — who is now 17 and lives in Florida — is identified only as John Doe and was between 13 and 14 years old when sex traffickers, posing as a 16-year-old female classmate, started chatting with him on Snapchat, the suit alleges.
Doe and the traffickers allegedly exchanged nude photos before the conversation turned to blackmail: If the teen didn’t share more sexually graphic photos and videos, the explicit material he’d already sent would be shared with his “parents, coach, pastor” and others, the suit states.
Doe, acting under duress, initially complied and sent videos of himself performing sex acts and was also told to include another child in his videos, which he did, the suit claims.
Eventually, Doe blocked the traffickers and they stopped harassing him, but at some point in 2019, the videos surfaced on Twitter under two accounts that were known to share child sexual abuse material, court papers allege."
"Doe became aware of the tweets in January 2020 because they’d been viewed widely by his classmates, which subjected him to “teasing, harassment, vicious bullying” and led him to become “suicidal,” court records show."
The incident was reported to Twitter at least three times and they never did anything until Homeland Security got involved. But this was after the inappropriate material was viewed over 167,000 times and 2,223 retweets.
"Only after this take-down demand from a federal agent did Twitter suspend the user accounts that were distributing the CSAM and report the CSAM to the National Center on Missing and Exploited Children ('NCMEC')," the lawsuit states. "This is directly in contrast to what their automated reply message and User Agreement state they will do to protect children."
The lawsuit accuses Twitter of benefiting from a sex trafficking venture, failing to report known child sexual abuse material, knowingly distributing child pornography, intentionally distributing non-consensually shared pornography, possessing child pornography, among other complaints.
"Twitter's conduct was malicious, oppressive, or in reckless disregard of John Doe's rights and he is entitled to injunctive relief, compensatory and punitive damages, and the costs of maintaining this action," the lawsuit reads."
Twitter has since then claimed they have a "zero-tolerance policy" when it comes to child sexual exploitation and now claim that they are actively fighting against it. But when this minor asked for it to be taken down they said it was not a violation.